[devel] Q: --no-copy-dt-needed-entries

Alexey Tourbin at на altlinux.ru
Ср Мар 24 18:24:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 09:04:48PM +0300, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:23:01AM +0300, Alexey Tourbin wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 09:28:11AM +0200, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
> > > Я анонсирую, когда всё будет готово. Нужно решить несколько проблем на
> > > ARM сперва.
> >
> > Just don't do it - in conjunction with --as-needed, --copy-dt-needed-entries
> > is good by default.
>
> Current --as-needed + --copy-dt-needed-entries combination works pretty
> well, so let's delay changing this default until we face a real bug.

Not only does it work pretty well, it also tries to do "the right
thing".  In a previous message, I tried to describe two distinct ld
modes: dumb mode and smart mode.  Dumb mode would just do what is
specified on the command line.  By contrast, smart mode could do
something more about shared library dependencies based on how symbols
are resolved.

Now, a smart mode, what could that be?  It's about either extra
dependencies which are unused (--as-needed), or missing/implicit
dependencies which can be obtained automatically (--copy-dt-needed-entries).
So, if there's anything like a smart mode, these two options togehter
are pretty smart.