[devel] Q: --no-copy-dt-needed-entries

Kirill A. Shutemov kirill на shutemov.name
Пн Мар 22 11:00:46 UTC 2010

2010/3/22 Alexey Tourbin <at на altlinux.ru>:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 02:26:49AM +0200, Kirill A. Shutemov wrote:
>> 2010/3/21 Alexey Tourbin <at на altlinux.ru>:
>> > Give me a good reason, with examples, why we should change the default.
>> > There was a good reason for --as-needed - extra dependencies and extra
>> > lookup costs.  I see no good reason for --no-copy-dt-needed-entries.
>>
>> gold(1) behaves that way by default. AFAIK, Fedora goes to switch to it later.
>> So it's one of step of switching.
>
> So a good reason to change the default is because of Fedora.  Because
> they are going to change it, too!  Just not yet.  Maybe next week.

Alexey, what will we do when Fedora and other major distributions
switch to gold(1)?
We have three options:

1. Switch to gold too and fix all regressions in repository including
indirect linking issues.

2. Switch to gold, but add functionality for --copy-dt-needed-entries
which, probably, will never be upstreamed.

3. Do not switch to gold and use semi-supported gnu-ld.