[devel] Q: --no-copy-dt-needed-entries

Dmitry V. Levin ldv на altlinux.org
Вс Мар 21 15:34:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 05:51:13PM +0300, Alexey Tourbin wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 04:14:41PM +0300, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> > >
> > > Так тут ведь и не предлагают знать. Наоборот, предлагают ещё и не
> > > линковаться явно с той библиотекой, которую ты используешь, если её
> > > использует другая библиотека, которую ты тоже используешь.

> > > Ну, да...
> >
> > --no-copy-dt-needed-entries можно рассматривать как дополнение к --as-needed:
> >
> > Первый параметр заставляет линковать свою программу со всеми
> > библиотеками, котрые эта программа непосредственно использует.
>
> In ld(1) manpage, perhaps the description is not quite clear.  And we
> should strive for very accurate wording in order to avoid a total mess.
> (E.g. we'd better avoid anthropomorphic clauses like "zastavlyaet".)

With --no-copy-dt-needed-entries in effect, each ELF output executable will
have to be linked with every library it uses directly.

> |       --copy-dt-needed-entries
> |       --no-copy-dt-needed-entries
> |	   This  option  affects the treatment of dynamic libraries
> |	   referred to by DT_NEEDED tags inside ELF dynamic libraries
> |	   mentioned on the command line.  Normally the linker will add
> |	   a DT_NEEDED tag to the output binary for each  library
> |	   mentioned  in  a DT_NEEDED tag in an input dynamic library.
>
> So, "normally" what's happening is something like a "shallow closure".
> E.g. when I link with libgtk+2, glib2 is going to be linked in, too,
> automatically.
>
> |	   With --no-copy-dt-needed-entries specified on the command
> |	   line however any dynamic libraries that follow it will have
> |	   their DT_NEEDED entries ignored.  The default  behaviour can
> |	   be restored with --copy-dt-needed-entries.
>
> So --copy-dt-needed-entries is the default - which is to link in more
> dependencies automatically;  --no-copy-dt-needed-entries reverts this
> logic to its bare minimum - only what you specified on the command line
> gets actually linked in (so you must specify e.g. both libgtk+2 and glib2).

If your application doesn't use glib2, there is no need to link with
glib2.

> |	  This option also has an effect on the resolution of symbols in
> |	  dynamic libraries.  With the default setting dynamic libraries
> |	  mentioned on the command line will be recursively searched,
> |	  following  their  DT_NEEDED  tags  to  other libraries,  in
> |	  order to resolve symbols required by the output binary.  With
> |	  --no-copy-dt-needed-entries specified however the searching of
> |	  dynamic libraries that follow it will stop with the dynamic
> |	  library itself.  No  DT_NEEDED links will be traversed to
> |	  resolve symbols.
>
> Again, "this option also has an effect on the resolution of symbols"
> is a poor wording.  Does this option affect only DT_NEEDED entries,
> or does it also set some other flags in the output binary?  Does this
> paragraph address the ld(1) behaviour or rather ld.so(8) behaviour?

The abovementioned options affects the ld(1) behaviour only.

> > Второй параметр не дает слинковать свою программу с библиотеками, которые
> > эта программа не использует непосредственно.
> >
> > В результате программа должна получиться слинкованной с теми и только с
> > теми библиотеками, которые она непосредственно использует, т.е. должна
> > произойти правильная оптимальная линковка.
>
> So, contrary to the initial message, with --as-needed on, there seems
> to be NO REASON to enable --no-copy-dt-needed-entries by default.

Just the opposite, there is a reason to link ELF executables with all
libraries they use directly.  Applications should be neither overlinked
nor underlinked.  The first problem is solved by --as-needed, the second
issue will be fixed by enabling --no-copy-dt-needed-entries by default.

--
ldv