[devel] @qa group is created

Igor Vlasenko vlasenko at imath.kiev.ua
Fri Nov 6 16:27:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 06:23:05PM +0300, Alexey I. Froloff wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 05:00:13PM +0200, Igor Vlasenko wrote:
> > В любом случае, ерунды там не должно быть.
> update_menus, post_ldconfig, postun_ldconfig,
> obsolete-call-in-post-*, et cetera.
>
> This is wasteful of build factory resources and bandwidth, as we
> then end up with same packages that just doesn't contain
> references to dead code, that still will NOT be executed during
> installation/removal.  Think about it.

Even applying those patchgens will usually end up in
complete removal of %post/%postun sections, that will
speed up installation a bit, and reduce RPM DB bloat.

But the value of those patchgens is that they save human time.

I'll recall autumn 2008 NMU with
altlinux-policy-perl-noarch-pkg-has-dirs-in-arch.pl
patchgen. It saved more than 100 perl packages.

And even the latest altlinux-policy-tex-obsolete-util-calls-in-post.pl
patchgen saved a bit of TeX Team time.

Even cleaning a spec consumes time too.

--

Dr. Igor Vlasenko