[devel] [Fwd: [#16528] COMPLETE (try 23) python.git=2.6.4-alt1_ srpm=scons-1.1.0-alt1.1.src.rpm ...]

Alexey Tourbin at на altlinux.ru
Пт Дек 11 18:28:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:39:52PM +0000, Max Ivanov wrote:
> Does at@ or ldv@ have any ideas how to further improve builder
> performance? There never was so stressfull load on infrastructure and
> hope never be in near future, but will we wait so long time if it
> happens again?

First off (perhaps in case you didn't notice), we're doing blazing fast.
As a matter of fact, a task with 1000 of packages, running for the
second time, can complete within only hours.  If you still think this
isn't fast enough, consider that 1000 packages actually are 1/n-th part
of the whole repo.

> Why packages without direct python dependencies (runtime or buildtime)
> was blocked by python task?

Because what we do is "purely functional" builds, with no exceptions.
Whenever a packages is getting built, its build environment is
remembered.  On the second run, would the environment change, the
package must be rebuilt.  "The envorinment" = "packages installed
into build chroot e.g. on behalf of BuildRequires".

Consider then you uploaded a package called "foo", which is a
prerequisite for python-module-foo.  But python-module-foo has been
rebuilt with python-2.6; it is busy wating.  So we don't want to trigger
the chain of rebuilds by allowing... oh well...