[devel] esound => pulseaudio

Alexander Bokovoy =?iso-8859-1?q?ab_=CE=C1_altlinux=2Eorg?=
Чт Июл 31 11:04:51 MSD 2008

31 июля 2008 г. 2:44 пользователь Igor Zubkov <igor.zubkov на gmail.com> написал:
> "Просрали все полимеры" (с) [1] [2]
>
> Пока народ из Fedora и Ubuntu это всё к себе втянул и давно оттестил,
> у нас ничего толком то и не работает. У меня на Fedora 8 уже
> pulseaudio работыл после установки одного пакета. Для того что бы
> такого добиться в альте, надо ещё попотеть.
pulseaudio в Ubuntu упакован и интегрирован неправильно, это мнение
разработчиков pulseaudio. Это же касается и других дистрибутивов.
Вместо пафоса и отсылок на другие дистрибутивы лучше ситуацию
исправлять. Но если, Игорь, тебе это лень делать, как ты сам
выразился, то зачем этот пафос?

Процитирую Lennart Poettering, отвечающего на критику Jeffrey
Stedfast-а по плохой работе PulseAudio.
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/jeffrey-stedfast.html
Some distributions did a better job adopting PulseAudio than others.
On the good side I certainly have to list Mandriva, Debian[3], and
Fedora[4]. OTOH Ubuntu didn't exactly do a stellar job. They didn't do
their homework. Adopting PA in a distribution is a fair amount of
work, given that it interfaces with so many different things at so
many different places. The integration with other systems is crucial.
The information was all out there, communicated on the wiki, the
mailing lists and on the PA IRC channel. But if you join and hang
around on neither, then you won't get the memo. To my surprise when
Ubuntu adopted PulseAudio they moved into one of their 'LTS' releases
rightaway [5]. Which I guess can be called gutsy -- on the background
that I work for Red Hat and PulseAudio is not part of RHEL at this
time. I get a lot of flak from Ubuntu users, and I am pretty sure the
vast amount of it is undeserving and not my fault.

Why Jeffrey's distro of choice (SUSE?) didn't package pavucontrol
0.9.6 although it has been released months ago I don't know. But
there's certainly no reason to whine about that to me and bash me for
it.

Having said all this -- it's easy to point to other software's faults
or other people's failures. So, admitting this, PulseAudio is
certainly not bug-free, far from that. It's a relatively complex piece
of software (threading, real-time, lock-free, sensitive to timing,
...), and every software has its bugs. In some workloads they might be
easier to find than it others. And I am working on fixing those which
are found. I won't forget any bug report, but the order and priority I
work on them is still mostly up to me I guess, right? There's still a
lot of work to do in desktop audio, it will take some time to get
things completely right and complete.

/ Alexander Bokovoy