[devel] Fwd: pciutils-3.0.0 released

Michael Shigorin =?iso-8859-1?q?mike_=CE=C1_osdn=2Eorg=2Eua?=
Пт Апр 11 00:18:56 MSD 2008

	Здравствуйте.
Пользуясь тем, что фриз ещё не объявлен -- заливаю в incoming
pciutils-3.0.0-alt1 с изменившимся soname (впрочем, собственно
изменения от 2.99.1 в сизифе минимальны).

Соответственно потребуется пересобрать зависимых от libpci.so.*
-- наверное, лучше автоматом.

Также просьба заинтересованным обратить внимание на то, что автор
ищет дополнительные secondary DNS для обслуживания lspci -q/-Q.

PS: у меня опять слегка наблюдается желание в 4.1 переместить
pci.ids туда, где их обычно ищут...

----- Forwarded message from Martin Mares <mj/ucw.cz> -----

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:40:28 +0200
From: Martin Mares <mj/ucw.cz>
Subject: pciutils-3.0.0 released
Cc: <snip>

Hello, world!\n

I have just released pciutils-3.0.0 to the wild.

The actual differences from the previous test release are close to zero,
I have only changed the versions of the API and ABI.

Here is a list of the most significant changes against the previous
stable version for those who did not follow the development closely:

    * The makefile system has been reworked. All configuration settings
    are now passed to the configure script in environment variables,
    allowing for easy tweaking in the top-level Makefile. All control
    knobs are now described in the README.

    * The libpci can be built as a shared library with properly restricted
    symbol exports. Use `make SHARED=yes' to enable that or `make SHARED=local'
    for a local testing build (with hardwired paths to the library, so that
    it does not need installation).

    * The i386-ports method is enabled on Linux/x86_64 as well.

    * Support for resolving of PCI ID's using DNS together with a local
    cache of resolved entries has been added. See the `-q' and `-Q' options
    of lspci.

    * The library now has a generic system of settable parameters, which
    also include settings of the DNS resolver and cache. An `-O' option
    has been added to lspci and setpci to allow setting of these options.

    * An `-A' switch has been added to both lspci and setpci, allowing to
    select an arbitrary access method. The `-P' switch (configure proc
    backend) has been removed as it is no longer needed and I do not know
    any its user.

    * When an unknown device ID is encountered, we print `Device <id>'
    instead of `Unknown device <id>'. It uses less space and it also
    should reduce the number of inexperienced users complaining that
    the device is not supported by the OS. To lookup up OS drivers,
    use the `-k' option.

I had only a little feedback from the beta testers on non-Linux systems,
so it is quite possible that the new version does not build there. As soon
I gather some useful reports, I will release 3.0.1 which will be better
portable.

We are also still searching for people willing to provide a secondary DNS
server for the ID zone.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares                          <mj/ucw.cz>   http://mj.ucw.cz/
War doesn't determine who's right. It determines who's left.

 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike на altlinux.ru>