[devel] Fwd: Changes to Root Filesystem Mounting Procedure

Michael Shigorin =?iso-8859-1?q?mike_=CE=C1_osdn=2Eorg=2Eua?=
Ср Мар 22 11:23:43 MSK 2006

----- Forwarded message from Scott James Remnant <scott/ubuntu.com> -----

Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 21:06:55 +0000
From: Scott James Remnant <scott/ubuntu.com>
To: ubuntu-devel-announce/lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Changes to Root Filesystem Mounting Procedure

In accordance to the previous two posted IRC discussions, we've changed
the procedure we use to mount the root filesystem.  We now do the
following:

 1) configure any drivers built-in to kernel

 2) load drivers for PCI storage controllers (IDE, SCSI, SATA, etc.)

 3) load drivers for Bridges, Docking Stations, Serial Buses (USB,
    Firewire), etc.

 4) load ide-generic for legacy ISA systems

 5) wait for up to three minutes for root device to appear as a result
    of loading previous drivers

We believe that this should satisfy all of the corner cases we were
aware of; while also allowing us to implement the
ProbeForRootFilesystem[0] specification for all types of device.

We'd like as much testing of this new procedure as possible, so if
you're running dapper please update the "udev" package and reboot.  It's
probably a good idea to keep an older kernel image/initramfs image lying
around just in case this new procedure fails for you.

If it fails for you, please file a bug against udev and let Keybuk (me)
know about it.

Thanks,

Scott

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ProbeForRootFilesystem