[devel] [Re: [R300] new snapshot ?]

Konstantin A. Lepikhov =?iso-8859-1?q?lakostis_=CE=C1_altlinux=2Eru?=
Пн Май 23 17:14:35 MSD 2005

Hi!

JFYI - текущий статус поддержки DRI для R300. Оказывается, она даже
стабильнее, чем для R200 :)

----- Forwarded message from Nicolai Haehnle <prefect_@> -----

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 16:07:44 +0200
From: Nicolai Haehnle <prefect_@>
To: Keith Whitwell <keith@>
Cc: Vladimir Dergachev <volodya@>,
	Aapo Tahkola <aet@>,
	Jerome Glisse <j.glisse@>,
	Ben Skeggs <d4rk74m4@>, dri-devel@
Subject: Re: [R300] new snapshot ?

On Thursday 19 May 2005 09:20, Keith Whitwell wrote:
> Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> >
> > Hi Aapo, Ben, Jerome, Nicolai:
> >
> >    I recently checked fresh code from CVS and was pleasantly surprised
> > to see that all Quake3 levels that were broken are now perfect - in fact
> > I cannot find anything that is amiss !
> >
> >    Do you think it would be a good idea to tag the current code and make
> > a snapshot ?

Sure, anytime :)

> So have you guys given any consideration to moving the r300 driver into
> mesa proper?  CVS access shouldn't be a problem, fwiw...

There are two main points that have stopped me from pushing for the
inclusion of the driver into Mesa proper:

1. Kernel-level security holes
We should take care of full command-stream verification before moving the
driver into Mesa CVS. It's easy to say "We can do that later", but if we
say that it's likely that it won't be done in a long time.

2. DRM binary compatibility
We still don't know the meaning of many of the registers. Some registers are
labelled "dangerous" which means we might have to do some more checks in
the kernel to make sure user processes can't do harmful stuff. This means
that we might have to *remove* some of the cmdbuf commands that exist today
in the future.

If the others believe moving r300 to Mesa is a good idea, then I'll do some
auditing to the DRM code. Once I (or somebody else) has done this, I'm okay
with moving the driver as long as we don't enforce DRM binary compatibility
yet.

cu,
Nicolai

WBR, Konstantin	      chat with ==>ICQ: 109916175
     Lepikhov,	      speak  to ==>JID: lakostis на jabber.org
aka L.A. Kostis       write  to ==>mailto:lakostis на pisem.net.nospam

...The information is like the bank... 			  (c) EC8OR