[devel] [RE: Generating a lot of randomness...]

Konstantin A. Lepikhov =?iso-8859-1?q?lakostis_=CE=C1_altlinux=2Eru?=
Вс Июн 26 01:13:44 MSD 2005

Hi!

JFYI

----- Forwarded message from Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@> -----

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:48:51 -0700
From: Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@>
To: openssl-users@
Cc: Ken Goldman <kgold@>
Subject: RE: Generating a lot of randomness...

I thought that Linux's random device now supports the HRNG's
for Intel, AMD and Via.  Here's the docs on the Intel HRNG:

http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/3/Documentation/i810_rng.txt

What does menuconfig say?

The Linux driver used to be built on the old
Theodore Ts'o code, which is not sufficiently random for
very high crypto.  Maybe your Linux distribution still
uses this code?

An overview of the VIA Technologies HRNG is here:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/padlock/hardware.jsp

FreeBSD 5.x has a driver for this in it's /dev/random device.

An overview of the HRNG in the Intel CPU's (P3 and later) is here:

http://www.cryptography.com/resources/whitepapers/IntelRNG.pdf

Another very good technique is to use a simple PC cam with
the lenscap on.  Here's the link:

http://www.lavarnd.org/what/index.html

Have fun!

Ted