[devel] [newsforge] Linus compares Linux and BSDs

Michael Shigorin =?iso-8859-1?q?mike_=CE=C1_osdn=2Eorg=2Eua?=
Ср Июн 15 16:46:26 MSD 2005

	Здравствуйте.
IMCO интересная статья, кое о чём и нам здесь стоит подумать.

--- http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/06/09/2128249
NF: If the BSDs were better technically five years ago, has the
playing field leveled since then?

Torvalds: I don't think they were better five years ago (see
above), and I don't think the question really makes sense.

Are there areas where you could point to "X does Y better"? Oh,
sure, that's inevitable. But exactly because Linux tries to be
"good enough" for everybody, you'll find a lot of areas where
Linux is better (often a lot better -- as in "it works"), and
then you'll find a few narrow areas where one particular BSD
version will be better.

To me, it's largely a mentality issue. I said "good enough," and
that's really telling. The BSD people (and keep in mind that I'm
obviously generalizing) are often perfectionists. They hone
something specific for a long time, and then they frown on
anything that doesn't meet their standards of perfection. The
OpenBSD single-minded focus on security is a good example.

In contrast, one of my favorite mantras is "perfect is the enemy
of good," and the idea is that "good enough" is actually a lot
more flexible than some idealized perfection. The world simply
isn't black-and-white, and I recognize a lot of grayness. I often
find black-and-white people a bit stupid, truth be told.
---

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike на altlinux.ru>