[devel] -mcpu? (was: lib32/lib64)

Michael Shigorin =?iso-8859-1?q?mike_=CE=C1_osdn=2Eorg=2Eua?=
Сб Фев 5 13:00:09 MSK 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 01:54:46AM +0300, Alexey Tourbin wrote:
> Кстати, кажется, архитектуре i586 как основной для сборки уже
> больше 5 лет, она ещё со времен iplabs, когда альтлинукса не
> было.

Эээ... ну раз пошла такая пьянка...

--- http://lwn.net/Articles/121843/
 The Fedora developers keep being asked this, and their answer is
 the same (although I've yet to check the compile flags on the
 Extras packages).

 Fedora packages are compiled optimising for i686 (earlier
 releases) or the Pentium 4 (today). But they normally use the
 i386 instruction set.

 For most packages, there is no performance benefit to using the
 later instructions. And modern processors other than the Pentium
 4 seem to benefit as much from Pentium 4 optimisations (Athlons,
 in particular, do so much reordering that they can optimise for
 themselves).

 If you can identify a package that is compiled with 386
 instructions but would benefit from more recent instructions,
 and if you can provide benchmarks ("Distribution X is faster"
 doesn't count since there are too many variables), then
 fedora-devel на redhat.com would love to hear from you.

 Incidentally, AMD K6-based computers count as i586 as far as gcc
 is concerned.
---

Может, и нам как-нить на досуге(tm) поиграться с тестами по части
-mcpu?  Под рукой есть Pentium I/II/III{,Xeon}/4, Athlon,
AthlonMP, AthlonXP.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike на altlinux.ru>