[devel] [bernie на develer.com: Doom3 works on R200!]

Konstantin A. Lepikhov =?iso-8859-1?q?lakostis_=CE=C1_altlinux=2Eorg?=
Пн Окт 25 22:39:16 MSD 2004

Hi!

JFYI

советую также почитать продолжение этого треда -
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5828453&forum_id=7177

----- Forwarded message from Bernardo Innocenti <bernie на develer.com> -----

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:33:43 +0200
From: Bernardo Innocenti <bernie на develer.com>
To: dri-devel на lists.sourceforge.net, mesa3d-dev на lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Doom3 works on R200!

Hello,

I just wanted to report success running the Linux native
version of Doom 3 with the open-source ATI driver with
only minor glitches.

Congratulations: you've beated ATI's propretary driver
which still doesn't work properly with Doom :-)

To get it working, I've built the latest CVS snapshots of
xorg, dri and Mesa, plus the external S3TC library:

 http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/dri_experimental/s3tc_index.html

For the past few days, I couldn't get Mesa to build in the
xorg tree with working direct-rendering.  So I've applied
Adam's recent patch to build GLX in Mesa's tree:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5797905&forum_id=5154

The patch doesn't care update the Makefile to install
the dri modules, so I had to install the manually.  I also
had to change the modules path hardcoded in libGL by adding
-DDEFAULT_DRIVER_DIR=\"/usr/local/xorg/lib/modules/dri\" to
CFLAGS.

The DRM linux-core worked fine with 2.6.9 (almost vanilla),
of course after disabling the in-kernel version.  I hope
the new core can soon be dropped in Linus's tree or at least
in -mm.

After installing all this stuff, everything was fine with
glxinfo, glxgears and et, while doom3 was just crashing.
This was easily fixed with the LD_PRELOAD trick:

  LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/xorg/lib/libGL.so.1 doom3

Speed with my 9200 is almost as good as with Wine's
version: 15 to 30fps depending on the scene complexity,
with a usual rate of 22-25fps.

The only thing I'm complaining about is the light torch: the
aura looks good, but the projected light circle is invisible
most of the times.  Other lightning effects look fine,
including dangling lights in ceilings.

I also noticed that wine + Doom3.exe doesn't work any more
(blue window complaining about OPENGL32.DLL missing).  I'm
not sure if it's caused by new Mesa or new Wine, but I could
investigate.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/