[devel] Fw: [Osdem]Printing with free Software, Sunday 10:30am

Alexander Bokovoy =?iso-8859-1?q?a=2Ebokovoy_=CE=C1_sam-solutions=2Enet?=
Ср Фев 13 20:41:32 MSK 2002

----- Forwarded message from Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter на gmx.net> -----

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:31:26 +0100
From: Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter на gmx.net>
To: aburet на fosdem.org, osdem на lists.raphinou.com
Subject: [Osdem]Printing with free Software, Sunday 10:30am

Oi,

here is what I will tell about printing, the talk is aimed to every one
who is interested in printing infrastructures, interfaces, and drivers:

Printing with Free Software, the New Generation

For long time printing under Linux and Unix was done with technology of
the 70th, with LPD. This printing system was developed ehen one has only
ASCII text printers and nowadays the printers do much more than only
printing text: Colours, graphics, photos, different paper types,
stapling, binding, and more. But in many cases the ancient printing
system, which does not support all these options and which is also
difficult to maintain in networks, is still used.

Recently the situation changed substantially: New printing systems
replace the old LPD: CUPS, PPR, LPRng, and PDQ. They give access to all
the printer's capabilities, are easier to use and to configure, and give
much more security in networks.

To allow an easy configuration of all existing free software printer
drivers under all spoolers, I am maintaining an XML database on
http://www.linuxprinting.org/ which lists all printers and drivers and
automatically generates configuration files for every
spooler/driver/printer combo via Perl scripts.

But even with such a database there are still problems as the necessity
of compiling drivers into GhostScript, no back channels to report the
printer status, no propagation of printer capabilities info through
networks, ... These problems were discussed as I have been on last
year's Printing Summit (http://www.osdn.com/conferences/printing/).
Solutions for these problems are under development and first
implementations are available.

   Till

P. S.: I am searching for people who help me maintaining the printer
       database on linuxprinting.org.