[devel] JT: [okuji на enbug.org: GRUB 0.93 is released]

Stanislav Ievlev =?iso-8859-1?q?inger_=CE=C1_altlinux=2Eorg?=
Пн Дек 9 13:21:21 MSK 2002

----- Forwarded message from "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <okuji на enbug.org> -----

Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 12:55:47 +0900
From: "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <okuji на enbug.org>
To: bug-grub на gnu.org
Cc: debian-hurd на lists.debian.org
Cc: bug-hurd на gnu.org
Subject: GRUB 0.93 is released

I'm happy to announce the release of GRUB 0.93. This is the fourth of
our prereleases leading up to GRUB 1.0. We encourage you to try it, as
we have done a lot of bugfixes and feature enhancement since the
previous release.

The source and binary distributions are available from
<URL:ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/>.

Send any questions, ideas, bug reports to <bug-grub на gnu.org>.

Here is the relevant NEWS:

New in 0.93 - 2002-12-08:
* Define the behavior of the boot loader when the load end address is
  zero and the bss end address is zero in the Multiboot Specification.
  Also, add the support into GRUB.
* Finally, we have a Bug Tracking System! Now the preferable way to
  report bugs is to use the BTS rather than sending e-mail to bug-grub.
  See <http://bugcomm.enbug.org/?project=grub&mode=project>, for more
  details.
* The appendix "FAQ" in the manual is removed. See the GNU GRUB FAQ on
  the web <http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.html> instead.
* The terminal handling code is rewritten radically, and many bugfixes
  are made at the same time.
* The command "color" is effective even in the command-line.
* The command "terminal" takes two new options, ``--no-echo'' and
  ``--no-edit''. If you specify ``--no-echo'', GRUB won't echo back
  input characters. If you specify ``--no-edit'', GRUB will disable the
  BASH-like editing feature. These options are useful when using an
  intelligent terminal (such as the comint mode in GNU Emacs).
* The utility ``grub-md5-crypt'' prompts to retype a password and checks
  if the passwords match.
* Support for booting Linux is rewritten, so GRUB now supports
  large-EBDA systems.
* The menu interfaces supports Page Up, Page Down, and Right Key.
* New command "terminfo", for vt100-incompatible terminals.
* New options, ``-D'', ``-g'' and ``-m'' are supported for FreeBSD.

Thanks,
Okuji

P.S. I'm planning not to announce new releases on bug-hurd and
debian-hurd from now on, because the relationship between Hurd and
GRUB is not very tight any longer, and most people appear to just use
a binary package in Debian GNU/Hurd.

P.P.S. I'm now the really official maintainer of GNU GRUB (i.e. not a
de facto maintainer). So contact me instead of Gord, whenever you want
to talk about GRUB privately.