[devel] [jbj на JBJ.ORG: 2nd test release of rpm-4.0.3]

Dmitry V. Levin =?iso-8859-1?q?ldv_=CE=C1_alt-linux=2Eorg?=
Чт Май 24 15:33:00 MSD 2001

----- Forwarded message from Jeff Johnson <jbj на JBJ.ORG> -----

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 20:18:00 -0400
From: Jeff Johnson <jbj на JBJ.ORG>
To: rpm-list на redhat.com
Subject: 2nd test release of rpm-4.0.3

I've put up a 2nd test release for the "next version" of rpm at

	ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/test-4.0.3-ROLLBACKS

There are "home-rolled" packages for gnorpm, kpackage, rpmfind, rpm2html,
and red-carpet linked against rpm-4.0.3-0.26 there as well. Please note that
the packages were produced to check for rpmlib API creep, I have little clue
whether the bits are functional, or even what libraries I have built against
(approx. Red Hat 7.1), only that the bits compile. If they work for you,
I'm glad. If they don't, please file a bugzilla report against rpm, not the
package, and I'll try to take a look. No promises about fixes, but I'm very
interested in reports of brokenness.

This build does *not* have support for db1 at all, and has a new library,
librpmdb.a, with an internal copy of Berkeley db-3.3.4. So far, the
main API breakage appears limited to adding -lrpmdb when linking, as in
	-lrpmbuild -lrpm -lrpmdb -lrpmio -lpopt

I believe that rpm-4.0.3 will tolerate damaged headers from a db3 database,
so, if you have a "corrupted database" in db3 format, rpm-4.0.3-0.26 is
the 1st thing to try. Sorry, I haven't yet attempted to get a better solution
for corrupted db1 databases, that's a little trickier because of the
way that headers are chained, a broken chain usually leads to loss of
all headers after the damage.

Final release of rpm-4.0.3 is at least 3-4 weeks from now, but the changes
are large enough that I want to make a reference copy available along the way.
Pending soonish is an soname change for rpm libraries, gonna be messy, can't
be helped.

Please submit bug reports, RFE's, patches, etc as always at
	http://bugzilla.redhat.com

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ