[d-kernel] About packet writing to DVD* media support in 2.6.x kernels

Konstantin A. Lepikhov lakostis at elektrostal.ru
Mon Mar 22 22:52:58 MSK 2004

Hi!

JFYI - все не так плохо как кажется - мы еще увидим pktcdvd для DVD* под
2.6.x :)))

----- Forwarded message from Nigel Kukard <nkukard at lbsd.net> -----

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:30:41 +0200
From: Nigel Kukard <nkukard at lbsd.net>
To: Peter Osterlund <petero2 at telia.com>
Cc: Andy Polyakov <appro at fy.chalmers.se>, Jens Axboe <axboe at suse.de>,
        Daniel Dorau <daniel.dorau at alumni.tu-berlin.de>,
        packet-writing at suse.com
Subject: Re: Problem with DVD+RW, Oops with 2.6.3

> There are three patches to consider:
>
> * The dvd+rw patch written by Andy Polyakov. I've adapted it to 2.4.23 and
>   the cdrw packet writing patch, but it needs further adaption to the 2.6
>   kernel. The patch doesn't support IDE drives in native mode yet. Also,
>   it contains some #ifdefs that probably need some investigation and
>   cleaning up before inclusion in 2.6.
>
> * The cdrw packet writing patch. Very unintrusive nowadays, but it would
>   be nice to at least fix the problem that prevents it to work with ide-cd
>   on some hardware before inclusion in 2.6.
>
> * The dvd-rw packet writing patch. Small patch. Depends on the cdrw packet
>   writing code.
>
> Links to patches:
>
> http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/patches/packet/2.6/packet-2.6.4-rc2.patch.bz2
> http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/patches/packet/2.4/extra/2.4.23/p00003_dvd+rw.patch.bz2
> http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/patches/packet/2.4/extra/2.4.23/p00004_dvd-rw-packet.patch.bz2

Ok, i've made quite a bit of progress.

i'll post a patch before the end of today, but so far testing is going
GOOD!!

Thanks guys for all your help!

The only thing is there will have to be a split off of the packet
writing code on this one. and i've combined the dvd+rw & dvd-rw, let me
know if this is ok.

Thanks again!

WBR, Konstantin	      chat with ==>ICQ: 109916175
     Lepikhov,	      speak  to ==>JID: lakostis at jabber.org
aka L.A. Kostis       write  to ==>mailto:lakostis at pisem.net.nospam

...The information is like the bank... 			  (c) EC8OR