[d-kernel] about packet writing in 2.6.x

Konstantin A. Lepikhov lakostis at elektrostal.ru
Mon Mar 8 00:57:43 MSK 2004

Hi!

JFYI

----- Forwarded message from Miguel Quir?s Oloz?bal <mquiros at ugr.es> -----

Date: 06 Mar 2004 08:52:45 +0000
From: Miguel Quir?s Oloz?bal <mquiros at ugr.es>
To: packet-writing at suse.com
Subject: Results with kernel-2.63, using /dev/hdb and /dev/scd0

Hello.

I have recently compiled the 2.6.3 kernel including into it the patch
provided by Peter. The compilation went without any problem.

According to kernel documentation, the use of ide-scsi is not neccesary
(even deprecated) for IDE-CD writting. In fact, I can use cdrecord with
kernel 2.6.3 with dev=/dev/hdb and it works fine.

So, I have tried udf writing linking /dev/pktcdvd0 with /dev/hdb.
After mounting the drive, it seemed to work at the beginning, I even
could write a couple of little files, but after several minutes a lot of
ugly error messages appeared in the screen, something like
  end_request I/O error /dev/hdb sector .... Buffer I/O error

More and more messages and more and more quickly appeared as time went
by. I have to unmount the drive and unlink pktcdvd0 with hdb to stop
them.

The messages appear several minutes after mounting the drive even if I
just mount it and do nothing else.

On the other hand, if I remove the module ide-cd and introduce the
module ide-scsi and then link /dev/pktcdvd0 with /dev/scd0 and mount the
drive, it seems to work perfectly.

So, it seems that for udf writing the ide-scsi emulation is still
required (at least, it is for me!).

In any case, thanks a lot for providing this useful tool.
--
Miguel Quir?s Oloz?bal
Departamento de Qu?mica Inorg?nica

To unsubscribe, e-mail: packet-writing-unsubscribe at suse.com
For additional commands, e-mail: packet-writing-help at suse.com

WBR, Konstantin	      chat with ==>ICQ: 109916175
     Lepikhov,	      speak  to ==>JID: lakostis at jabber.org
aka L.A. Kostis       write  to ==>mailto:lakostis at pisem.net.nospam

...The information is like the bank... 			  (c) EC8OR

Checked by RAV - it's better than KAV!