[d-kernel] modutils/module-init-tools

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Mon Feb 23 13:29:03 MSK 2004

Ниже приведена компиляция из переписки с Gerd-ом Knorr-ом, ответственным
за ядро 2.6 и mit в SuSE.

I don't feel like going away from mit.  mit everyone uses right now, so
it is well tested, and we had no major problems so far with either
getting our patches merged or another fix for the problem from rusty.

The conditional stuff just isn't there yet because there is no urgent
presure right now (that will start with the 2.7 fork) and everyone is
busy with other stuff.  I'm sure it is possible to convince rusty to
merge that in some form (but maybe it looks different from what mu do
today).  2.4 support likely wouldn't happen through, but I don't
consider that a problem.

[...]

The configuration likely will move away from module tools anyway.
hotplug, udev, ... will take over that part.  The insmod options
will stay, aliases probably too but will not be used that much,
pre/post install scripts at least partly will be taken over from
hotplug.

[...]

We have fully separate trees, so this is no issue for us.  Real
development happens in the new 2.6 tree only through.

  Gerd

--
"... und auch das ganze Wochenende oll" -- Wetterbericht auf RadioEins

/ Alexander Bokovoy
Samba Team                      http://www.samba.org/
ALT Linux Team                  http://www.altlinux.org/
Midgard Project Ry              http://www.midgard-project.org/