[Comm] [fyodor на insecure.org: 2003 Top 75 Tools Results]

Dmitry V. Levin =?iso-8859-1?q?ldv_=CE=C1_altlinux=2Eorg?=
Вс Май 4 23:37:21 MSD 2003

JFYI

----- Forwarded message from Fyodor <fyodor на insecure.org> -----

Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 00:33:30 -0700
From: Fyodor <fyodor на insecure.org>
To: nmap-hackers на insecure.org
Subject: 2003 Top 75 Tools Results

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the fantastic response to the Nmap user survey!  It is now
closed, but recorded 1854 responses -- that blew away our goal of 1500
and is over 50% greater than the 2000 survey!  I haven't analyzed all
the questions/comments yet, but I did go through your recommended
tools and create a most-loved list as I did in 2000.  Thanks to the
increased responses, I was able to expand the list from "Top 50" to
"Top 75".  I also included better descriptions, and even some pretty
icons :).  I learned about some valuable new tools myself, and
heartily recommend going through the list and investigating any you
are unfamiliar with.  The new list of winners are available at:

http://www.insecure.org/tools.html

It is worth noting that almost half of the 2003 top 50 are new to the
list.  Congratulations to these rising stars:

GFI LANguard: A commercial network security scanner for Windows
Ettercap: In case you still thought switched LANs provide much extra security
Nikto: A more comprehensive web scanner
Kismet: A powerful wireless sniffer
SuperScan: Foundstone's Windows TCP port scanner
Fport: Foundstone's enhanced netstat
Network Stumbler: Free Windows 802.11 Sniffer
N-Stealth: Web server scanner
AirSnort: 802.11 WEP Encryption Cracking Tool
NBTScan: Gathers NetBIOS info from Windows networks
Cain & Abel: The poor man's L0phtcrack
XProbe2: Active OS fingerprinting tool
SolarWinds Toolsets: A plethora of network discovery/monitoring/attack tools
THC-Amap: An application fingerprinting scanner
OpenSSL: The premier SSL/TLS encryption library
Honeyd: Your own personal honeynet
Achilles: A Windows web attack proxy
Brutus: A network brute-force authentication cracker
Stunnel: A general-purpose SSL cryptographic wrapper
Paketto Keiretsu: Extreme TCP/IP
SPIKE Proxy: HTTP Hacking
THC-Hydra: Parallized network authentication cracker

[ There are also many new tools in the 50-75 rankings ]