[Comm-en] My review of ALT Linux GNUStep OS

David davidb at disroot.org
Sat Jan 8 01:03:45 MSK 2022

January 6, 2022 4:58 AM, "Michael Shigorin" <mike at altlinux.org> wrote:

> There's one more thing to window managers: it's more realistic
> to have your settings travel with you over years and decades,
> changing hardware if required, by a simple "cp -a ... ~/GNUstep"
> or so.

This is a really good point!  It's also one of the reasons why I like using SeaMonkey so much.  If I happen to change my OS or wish to work on another of my netbooks for a while, I just copy my .mozilla/seamonkey folder over to the new system and all is there, just as I left it.  E-mails, bookmarks, add-ons and extensions, browser configurations all just follow me and I don't have to re-configure a single element.

> And regarding WindowMaker in particular, it does save some
> screen estate, especially widescreen (or should I say lowscreen?)
> that's rather suited for content consumption than for creation:
> the "lack" of a horizontal panel and the typical vertical dock
> leave more space for the applications. Still I tend to prefer
> full-screen zero-distraction modes for my main apps, namely xterm
> (Alt-Enter) and Firefox (F11) so that even wmclock doesn't "tick".

Yes, I really like the clean screen, too.  I also like how you can assign just about any function to a hot-key.