[Comm-en] New Kernel Packages

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Thu Jan 8 09:19:40 MSK 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:36:36PM -0600, D&J Bouley wrote:
> I know this may be a silly question, but could someone explain
> how the updating of the Kernel packages work?

"By hand" -- kernel is special enough (booting gets modified and
is needed) not to update it automatically.

> I noticed on the ALT Security Announce Archive page the
> mentioning of new Kernel packages.  I've updated Synaptic and
> the new packages are there, however the automatic update
> feature of Synaptic doesn't seem to flag them for updating.

You have to select appropriate packages manually.  They may be
kernel24-up, and depending on used modules -- alsa24-up,
fglrx_kernel-up, NVIDIA_kernel-up, slmdm_kernel-up for
Master/Junior 2.2 series, or kernel-image-std-up and appropriate
kernel-modules-*-std-up for Compact 2.3 beta.

In the latter case packages are to be taken from Sisyphus as the
distro hasn't been released yet hence no updates/.

> Is there a reason for this?  Is the updating of the Kernel
> something I have to initiate myself (through Synaptic) or is it
> safer not to do so, using Junior 2.2 (better to wait for the
> official release of Compact)?

Ummm... if you have untrusted local users, it's far better to run
2.4.20-alt11+ or 2.4.22-alt15+ as exploits are available.  If
not, then having a way of getting root from e.g. named user is
not a sugar too.

"Poor, poor linux kernel..." (almost robinsoniana)

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>