[Freeschool] Fw: [Rosegarden-devel] Rosegarden in Schools

Alexandre Prokoudine avp на altlinux.ru
Пт Фев 28 11:00:47 MSK 2003

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:37:28 +0000
From: s~TV <s~TV на fractalsoup.org>
To: rosegarden-devel на lists.sourceforge.net,
glaurent на telegraph-road.org
Subject: [Rosegarden-devel] Rosegarden in Schools

Hi Guillaume Laurent,
My name is steve leonard-clarke Head of ICT Curriculum at St.
Dunstan's
Community School, Glastonbury. I also manage the Linux in Schools
website as a portal for links in education to all things TUX.
http://linuxinschools.org

Having been involved with Linux and Open Source for some three years
now
at home and on a small scale in school i am re-writing the ICT
strategy
for the school proposing that the school develop a Linux based
network,
  with thin client in the outer departments and centrally a mix of
windoze and linux power machines. (Currently the network is NT4 and
supported by County LEA) The school management are reluctant to go
down
a new path but slowly but surely I am winning hearts and minds that
this
is the way we should go.

To begin with I have just setup a thin client network of 15 p100
connected to a Mandrake Linux Server in partnership with Ian Lynch's

company http://www.irlcomputers.com.

Once this is up and running I am keen to get a Linux User group
going in
Glastonbury.

The school are currently bidding for Performing Arts Status which
will
bring in a bigger budget to the school.

My thought is that by using Open Source technologies overall costs
can
be spread further and allow expensive performing arts equipment to
be
placed where it's needed whilst fully integrating a Linux network
for
generic office work.

Opening up the technology available to the school for public use
will
help us with the bid. One way of doing this is setting up a
Glastonbury
LUG based at St. Dunstan's.

The plan is to have a local press release focussing on the "OSS in
Education" aspect but also advertising the Glastonbury LUG later on
in
the year as well as a national press release with Time Educational
Supplement mainly looking at how Linux can save schools ICT budgets
from
bursting at the microsoft seams as well as being a better choice.

As a musician http://www.besonic.com/thinman i am a user of many
types
of music technology. Out of all the software i have tried Rosegarden
is
I believe the OSS that music departments in schools should be
encouraged
to use on the Linux platform. I want to promote its use in schools
and
indeed am already doing so by example.

As part of our bid for performing arts status it would be good to
get an
alignment between the Rosegarden project and Linuxinschools.org. Do
you
have any ideas how this might develop and how i may help it do so?

We could use it on some purpose built linux machines as a case study
in
educational settings for example. http://casestudy.seul.org/

Any way, "Arms open wide" :-)

Kind regards,